House fire leaves family homeless

A FAMILY has been left homeless after a kitchen fire caused major damage to their home in an Essex town last night.The family of four all escaped serious injury but their home was left severely smoke-damaged by the blaze, which broke out at about 10.

A FAMILY has been left homeless after a kitchen fire caused major damage to their home in an Essex town last night.

The family of four all escaped serious injury but their home was left severely smoke-damaged by the blaze, which broke out at about 10.50pm.

The incident took place in De Marci Court in Braintree and two fire crews from the town attended the scene.

Using breathing equipment and a hose reel, firefighters managed to extinguish the flames after about 40 minutes.

One man was left suffering the effects of smoke inhalation while the family's two dogs had to be rescued from the building. One of the animals later died.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter