How will you finance your university education? Guide for Suffolk students
- Credit: Archant
Student finance can seem quite scary, but it doesn’t have to be because there are loans, grants and bursaries to ensure that everyone is able to access higher education.
The key points to remember are that the two main costs while studying are tuition fees and living costs - and that there is support available to help you with both of these.
Students will be charged around £9,000 per year for a full-time degree, with slightly reduced fees for foundation degrees and pro-rata charges for part-time students.
Tuition fee loan
You may also want to watch:
All UK and EU undergraduate students are eligible to receive a tuition fee loan to pay the full cost of their fees, as long as they are starting their first degree. There is no age limit, and the fee loan is not means-tested.
Maintenance loans and grants
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
UK students can also apply for the maintenance grant and loan. All UK students under the age of 60 are eligible to apply for 65% of the maximum maintenance loan, while the remaining 35% is means-tested. Students with an annual household income of less than £25,000 are eligible for the full maintenance grant of £3,387; and students with an annual household income of between £25,000 and £42,620 are eligible for a partial maintenance grant. There are also additional grants available depending on your individual circumstances.
Check the Student Finance website for information
Students can apply for their tuition fee loan and maintenance support now. Applications for 2015-16 opened in March 2015 and students are advised to apply as soon as possible.
UCS, and other universities, offer students a wide range of bursaries, subject to eligibility criteria.
NHS Funded Courses
Students on NHS courses have their tuition fees paid by the NHS, and may be entitled to additional support. In 2015 healthcare students on eligible courses of 45 weeks in duration received a non means tested grant of £1,000, a means-tested bursary of up to £4,395 and a non means-tested maintenance loan of up to £2,324. Additional allowances are available, depending on individual circumstances.
Financial aid for part-time students
Part-time students are eligible for a tuition fee loan if they are studying at least 25% of the full-time course each year and they are starting their first undergraduate degree. Part-time students will not be able to apply for the maintenance loan or maintenance grant.