‘I still can’t believe Ant and Dec pressed the golden buzzer’ – Stowmarket magician Matt Edwards stuns Britain’s Got Talent judges with wacky routine
- Credit: PA
Eccentric Suffolk magician Matt Edwards impressed Britain’s Got Talent judges tonight with a wacky routine that sent him sailing into the semi-final.
Performing to the tune of The Champs’ classic track Tequila, the 34-year-old from Stowmarket got a standing ovation from the crowd.
Judge Amanda Holden compared his act – fully of wacky facial expressions, dancing and impressions – to famous magician and performer Tommy Cooper.
She described him as being “old-school with a twist, which is perfect for Britain’s Got Talent”.
The entertainer’s act was so popular even presenters Ant and Dec opted to push the golden buzzer in his favour.
They rushed onto the stage telling the panel – who were still heaping praise on the Suffolk-born magician to “excuse us for a second” while they pressed the buzzer.
Matt, who grew up in Needham Market, sunk to his knees in disbelief at their reaction.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 5 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 6 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 9 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 10 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
He said: “I burst into tears at that moment. I was just absolutely shocked.
“To have a judging panel like that give you the affirmation that you are good and telling you that they believe in you is just an extraordinary feeling.
“I couldn’t believe it when Ant and Dec came onto the stage, I thought they had some technical difficulties or something.
“When they pressed the golden buzzer I just dropped to my knees and cried.
He added: “No words can describe that feeling.”
Dec said the pair had decided to back the magician-come-entertainer to offer him a hand-up.
He said: “He’s 34 years old and for some reason he hasn’t been given the break up until now and we just wanted to be there and do it.”
Simon Cowell said after the performance: “I’ve got to be honest when you started with that voice I thought it’s going to be really annoying but you are brilliant.
“I’m surprised you haven’t had a break yet Matthew because you’re really likeable, and nuts.
“You’ve just got something about you, an energy.
He added: “This is what we look for in these shows, people who have got star quality, I’ve just got a feeling about you.”
The golden buzzer sends Matt directly to the live semi-finals.
Missed tonight’s episode? Catch up here.