“I was scared it was going to explode” – Sudbury car becomes fireball
- Credit: Archant
A car burst into flames on a garage forecourt on Saturday, leading to fears it could “explode”.
Just after 12.30pm on Saturday, a driver pulled up at Great Waldingfield Garages, in Girling Street and leapt out.
Smoke was coming from the car and Jeanette Kinnard, who works in sales at the garage, dialled 999 - as did the driver.
“She came around the one-way system and pulling into the car lot, jumped out and came running into me and then flames suddenly came out of the bonnet,” she said.
“I realised it was going to go up. I was scared it was going to explode.”
You may also want to watch:
The burning car was parked next to a white Vauxhall Antara, and Ms Kinnard praised a passer-by who moved it away from danger.
“I think it was a taxi driver from across the road,” she said. “I don’t know who he was.”
- 1 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 4 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 9 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
She said the cars had been virtually touching: “You couldn’t fit a body between it. It was that close. It was very brave of him.”
She said none of the cars at the garage were damaged as a result of the fire.
However, she criticised the way other drivers slowed to look at the fire.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service confirmed it received the call at 12.36pm on Saturday and retained crews were on site by 12.46pm.
The fire was extinguished and the appliance was back at the station by 1.05pm. The vehicle was collected later in the day.