Iken: Mystery of seal found in road
A LANDLADY made an unusual discovery on her way to work when she spotted what turned out to be a seal in the middle of the road.
Teresa Cook, of The Crown pub in Snape, near Aldeburgh, came across the stranded animal around 8.30am yesterday.
She was travelling from Orford and had just passed through Sudbourne when she said she spotted local farm worker Sherman Hewitt and another man struggling with what she thought was a deer close to the Iken cross roads.
“They told me it was a seal and I didn’t believe it,” she continued. “I guess it must have come up from the river. It’s very unusual.”
They called the police and officers soon attended, along with specialists from the RSPCA.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “Several members of the public boxed the seal in with their cars to stop it getting run over. They did a good job to make it safe.”
The juvenile grey seal was taken to the RSPCA’s East Winch Wildlife Centre in Norfolk around 10am.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Busy high street taped off by police
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 9 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 10 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
A spokeswoman for the charity said last night: “The seal was alive but as yet we have no further update on its condition. It is still being assessed.
“It is still a mystery as to how it ended up on the road.”