Inquest opens into fire tragedy
By David LennardAN inquest has been opened following the death of a two-year-old boy in a house fire.Tyrone David Reay died following the blaze at his home in the Nordalls, Kessingland, near Lowestoft, on May 28.
By David Lennard
AN inquest has been opened following the death of a two-year-old boy in a house fire.
Tyrone David Reay died following the blaze at his home in the Nordalls, Kessingland, near Lowestoft, on May 28.
His older brother Johnny Lee and parents managed to escape the fire, but despite the efforts of his family and neighbours to free him, Tyrone was trapped inside the house.
You may also want to watch:
He was rescued by firefighters and efforts were made to resuscitate him, but Tyrone certified dead at the James Paget Hospital in Gorleston.
Lowestoft coroner George Leguen de Lacroix opened the inquest yesterday. A post-mortem examination revealed Tyrone had died from asphyxiation caused by smoke inhalation and severe burns.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 5 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 8 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 9 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight
- 10 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
Mr de Lacroix adjourned the inquest until August 8 to allow time for Suffolk Fire Service to prepare a detailed report into the blaze.
An initial report found the fire had started in a bedroom where Tyrone and his three-year-old brother had been playing with matches. A smoke alarm had been installed at the house, but batteries were not fitted.
Senior fire officers expressed their sympathy to Tyrone's family following his death, but also warned of the dangers of children playing with matches.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Chris Turnock also stressed how important it was to fit smoke detectors and to check them regularly.
Tyrone's parents and brother all received hospital treatment following the fire, but were not seriously injured.
The family declined an offer from Waveney District Council to be housed in emergency accommodation following the fire, which caused serious damage to the first floor bedrooms of their home, and are currently staying with relatives in the Kessingland area.