Investigation launched into double death

DETECTIVES have launched an investigation after discovering two dead bodies inside a town centre home.

Dave Gooderham

DETECTIVES have launched an investigation after discovering two dead bodies inside a town centre home.

Keith and Christine McDonald were both found dead in the bungalow in New Cheveley Road, Newmarket, where police officers also found the remains of a fire.

Neighbours called the police after becoming concerned about the welfare of the couple - but officers ruled out any “third party involvement”.

You may also want to watch:

Post mortems yesterday took place on the couple - who were both taxi drivers in the town - while forensic experts were at the scene following the discovery on Friday night.

Det Supt John Raine , investigating, said he was keeping an open mind over the cause of the deaths and confirmed that the couple could well have been in the house for several hours together before the grim discovery.

Most Read

He added: “Investigations are underway to determine the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

“At this stage we are not looking at any third party involvement and are treating the deaths as an isolated incident.”

Mr McDonald, 47, and Mrs McDonald, 48, are thought to have been an estranged couple although taxi drivers in the town were last night making no comment.

It is believed Mrs McDonald lived in the bungalow while Mr McDonald lived at another address in the town.

Their two taxi cabs were sealed off within a police cordon as forensic experts searched for clues to ascertain how the deaths occurred.

Police officers were called to the property at about 5.15pm and forced their way in along with fire-fighters from Newmarket. They discovered the remains of a fire and found the body of a man and woman inside the bungalow.

Post mortem examinations, conducted by Home Office pathologist Dr Nat Cary, took place yesterday as detectives continued investigating the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

Last night, a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said that the results of the post mortem examinations would not be made public until an inquest had been opened which is expected to be in the next few days.

An investigation into the cause of the fire is also underway.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus