Independent investigation launched into serious Colchester crash where driver failed to stop for police
- Credit: GOOGLE MAPS
A driver who was involved in a car crash after failing to stop for police in Colchester is fighting for his life in hospital.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is carrying out an investigation into incident, which happened on Saturday night.
A black Volkswagen Golf failed to stop for Essex police in Severalls Lane at around 11.20pm.
Officers lost sight of the car in Ipswich Road.
A short time later it was found to have been involved in a collision at the junction of Severalls Lane and Newcomen Way.
You may also want to watch:
The driver of the car, a man in his 30s, has been taken to hospital in a critical condition.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “The incident has been referred to the IOPC which is standard procedure and the IOPC has started an independent investigation.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
The road has been closed.
The police spokesman said the closure may have had some impact on the route of the Colchester Half Marathon this morning.