Ipswich: Armed officers arrest two people in connection with stabbing in Gibbons Street
TWO people have been arrested in Norwich today in connection with a stabbing in Gibbons Street, Ipswich, last week.
Neighbours watched as police armed with tasers and pistols arrested a man outside a flat, handcuffed him, and took him away in a police van.
A woman who arrived later at the flat was also arrested.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said a 21-year-old man from Ipswich was arrested at a property in Clifton Street, Norwich, charged with GBH.
An 18-year-old woman from Norwich was also arrested at the scene on suspicion of assisting an offender.
Resident Jane Watkin, who caught the incident on camera, said: “It was a shock. You don’t often see armed police with dogs outside. There were a lot of people watching what was going on out of their windows.
“I could hear the police shouting ‘Armed police. Get out’. The man who was arrested took his time coming out of the flat but he eventually did.”
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 7 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 10 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
She praised the police for their response to the incident.
“They handled it the way they are supposed to,” she said.
The arrest took place in Clifton Street, off Old Palace Road, just after 10am.
A Suffolk police spokesman said the arrests were carried out on its behalf by Norfolk police.
A spokesman said: “The arrests are in connection with a stabbing in Gibbons Street in Ipswich last Tuesday. A man is still in Ipswich hospital following that incident.
“A man was arrested in Clifton Street, Norwich on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and a female was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.”