Ipswich: Asbo-breaching alcoholic Daniel Palmer jailed again after violating order the day after leaving prison

Daniel Palmer

Daniel Palmer - Credit: Contributed

An alcoholic who has breached his anti-social behaviour order (Asbo) more than 30 times has been jailed for violating it again just a day after his release from prison.

Daniel Palmer was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court after admitting criminal damage, assault a police constable and breaching his Asbo.

Palmer, who has lived in the Ipswich area but is of no fixed abode, was released from prison on October 21.

However, prosecutor Robert Sadd told the court the 31-year-old got into trouble again on October 22 after going to Cavendish Lodge in Turret Lane, Ipswich, in the hope of temporary accommodation.

Mr Sadd said: “He was declined residence, no doubt because of his past.

The court heard that apparently in temper Palmer used his right elbow to smash a window.

A short time later Palmer was in the Spread Eagle pub on the corner of Eagle Street and Fore Street.

Mr Sadd said Palmer was plainly drunk and police were called.

Most Read

The court was told he resisted arrest telling an officer “**** you, I’m not going anywhere”.

The officer got Palmer to the ground where a struggle ensued.

Palmer then turned his head towards the constable and spat in his face, before telling the officer that “I’ve got HIV”.

After his arrest Palmer later apologised to the officer and told him he did not have HIV.

Mr Sadd said Palmer was given an Asbo in 2007 which prohibited him from being found drunk in a public place.

Recorder Carmel Wall jailed Palmer for a total of 10 weeks.

In November last year Palmer, who had committed 138 offences by then, was sentenced to 12 months in prison by Ipswich Crown Court.

He admitted breaching a community order which had been made two months earlier.

The community and supervision order was put in place after Palmer admitted three separate breaches of his ASBO, possession of ketamine, assaulting a police officer and criminal damage during a hearing on September 18. As well as the order, he also had to complete a residential treatment course.

The court had heard that at 7.30pm on October 21, Palmer called 999 and told police he was about to breach his community order and was going to take his own life.

Richard Kelly, prosecuting, said when officers arrived at the scene it was clear Palmer was intoxicated and continued the threat to take his own life.