Ipswich/Beccles: School caretaker jailed for 10 years for sex assaults on a child
- Credit: Contributed
A Suffolk school caretaker has been jailed for ten years after admitting a catalogue of child abuse including two rapes of a boy under 13.
Glenn Brennan was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court after previously pleading guilty to eight offences.
A member of his victim’s family said: “It’s been horrific for him. It has totally ruined his life.
“He is just so relieved that someone believes him and he is happy with the sentence.”
Earlier this year the victim told his father that he had been abused and named Brennan. of Pig Lane, Beccles as the man responsible.
You may also want to watch:
The allegations dated back to the 1990s.
Before his arrest Brennan had worked as the caretaker at Sir John Leman High School in Beccles.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 6 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 7 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 10 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
After Brennan was jailed Detective Constable Kim Shrubsall said; “When we interviewed the victim he disclosed that he had been sexually abused on a number of occasions when he was under 16.
“Brennan was arrested on March 21 and admitted being involved in sexual activity with him when he was a young boy but initially denied the serious sexual offences he was accused of.
“The investigation continued and on July 9 Brennan was charged with a number of sexual offences including rape and indecent assault. He later pleaded guilty to two counts of rape of a male child under 13, three counts of sexual assault on a child under 13 and three counts of causing or inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.
“The victim came forward to report what had happened to him to prevent it from happening to anyone else and has been has been extremely courageous throughout this process.
“This case demonstrates that victims can get justice, even many years after the crime, and that offenders who commit such acts of abuse can expect a substantial prison sentence.”
A statement issued on behalf of Sir John Leman High School’s governing body read: “The school was notified by police earlier this year to a historic allegation made against a member of staff.
“All recruitment procedures had been followed including all relevant employment checks.
“Following this notification human resources and safeguarding procedures were applied.
“No concerns have been raised regarding any student of the school either past or present, and the member of staff is no longer employed by the school.”
In addition to his jail term Brennan must sign the Sex Offenders Register for an indefinite period and was given a Sexual Offences Prevention Order.