Ipswich: Bid to build a lodge-style hotel alongside new pub
A NEW 24-room lodge-style hotel could be built beside the new Mermaid food-based pub at the junction of Yarmouth and London Roads.
Pub group Marstons have applied for permission to build the new lodge in a separate building from the recently-completed Mermaid.
It would provide 24 bedrooms giving accommodation for diners and for visitors to the town – there would be no further facilities and residents would be expected to eat in the pub itself.
The design of the building would be similar to that of the nearby Mermaid pub which has also been built by Marstons.
The application needs special consideration by planners at the borough because it is on a flood plain.
You may also want to watch:
It was lodged with the borough last week and is expected to be discussed by members of the council’s planning and development committee over the next two months.
The Mermaid is about to open on the site which was previously used as a conservatory show area.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 6 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
n Would the new lodge be good for the town? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org