Ipswich Borough Council sends clean-up team after complaints of ‘filthy’ Crown car park
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Ipswich Borough Council has promised more regular cleaning of Crown car park after admitting litter had become a problem.
A council spokesman was yesterday unable to give a date of when the car park was last cleaned and said a team would be sent immediately to deal with the mess.
Tony Rowland, of Rushmere St Andrew, uses the Crown car park every Saturday morning and said it had not been tidied for at least five weeks.
The 74-year-old said: “There is litter everywhere both in the car park itself and in the stairwells inside. Sometimes the whole place smells and often the floors are filthy.
“If I was a stranger to Ipswich I would go into that car park and then turn around and go home.”
You may also want to watch:
The car park, located on Charles Street, costs £1 per hour to use or £1 after 3pm on weekdays.
The borough spokesman said: “We will urge customers not to drop litter and we do recognise there has been a problem so we have swung into action.”
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
The council has put aside funds to build an extra floor to the car park in time for Christmas next year.