Ipswich: Cake-holding armed robber Marley Wallace jailed after hold-ups at three stores in 24 hours

Robber Marley Wallace

Robber Marley Wallace - Credit: Archant

An armed robber who targeted three east Ipswich stores in 24 hours is behind bars today.

Marley Wallace, of Woodbridge Road, Ipswich, was jailed for three years and eight months when he appeared for his sentencing at the town’s crown court.

The 22-year-old had previously pleaded guilty to two robberies and an attempted robbery.

Wallace was captured by police after a botched raid at the Co-op in Clapgate Lane, Ipswich, on May 29.

He is said to have gone into the store at around 4.20pm before wandering up to the till holding a Golden Syrup cake.

Wallace then lifted his top up and the female shop assistant saw he was partly holding a knife.

Although he demanded money the cashier said she could not open the till and raised the alarm, causing Wallace to flee.

Most Read

He was caught shortly afterwards when he was seen walking from Devonshire Road into Back Hamlet heading towards town.

Wallace was carrying a bag which was part of the description given to police in relation the person who carried out the attempted robbery.

The previous day Wallace held up Premier Stores shops in Freehold Road and Foxhall Road at knifepoint within two hours of each other.

The first raid took place just after 4pm in Freehold Road.

The female cashier heard the bell on the shop door go and went to serve Wallace, who had a knife tucked into his trousers.

Although the knife was never drawn the assistant handed over the cash he demanded in £5 and £10 notes.

At 5.50pm the same day Wallace raided the nearby Premier Stores shop in Foxhall Road.

He looked around the premises before taking a drink and packet of crisps to the till.

Wallace then ask for money and put his fingers in the waistband of his trousers to indicate he had a knife.

He left with the cash and disappeared in the direction of Heath Road.

After Wallace was arrested on suspicion of robbery he subsequently admitted to police that he was involved in all three incidents.

In addition to his jail term Wallace was given a £100 deprivation order and told he must pay £120 to the victims’ fund.