Ipswich: Chief urges planners to back shops proposals
- Credit: Archant
Borough leader David Ellesmere is to urge his colleagues to over-rule officers and approve a proposal to develop five shops underneath and empty office block.
The owner of Western House at the entrance to the Hadleigh Road has applied for planning permission to create five shops on the ground floor.
At present the area is used as a car park – a new car parking area would be created behind the building which would see the number of spaces increase.
Larry Isherwood represents the owners of the building and said when they first spoke to planning officials about the proposals at the end of last year, they thought there would be no problem.
“The new shops are already pre-let to some major names, like Costcutter and Subway – they will create 40 jobs including 32 full-time posts,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
It is due to be discussed by the borough’s planning and development committee with a recommendation that it should be refused because it is in an area designated for “employment space.”
However Mr Ellesmere, who is one of the local councillors for the area, said he would be telling the committee that he backed the proposal.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
He said: “The offices are not occupied and this will enable the building to be improved – it is not as if employment space is being lost because at present it is only used as a car park.
“I can see why the planners made their recommendation, but I think on this occasion the application should be allowed.”
Should the shops be built? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com