Ipswich/Felixstowe: Eddie Maher appears at court
Eddie Maher appeared in court this morning charged with the theft of �1,172,500.
The 57-year-old, who was extradited from America last week, appeared via video link at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court from HMP Norwich.
Maher spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth and did not enter a plea.
A date was set at magistrates court on July 24 for a committal hearing.
Magistrate Malcolm Hogarth said: “In the mean time you are going to be remanded in custody.”
It is alleged that on January 22, 1993, Maher – who was working as a Securicor driver at the time – drove off with a van containing the cash, while his colleague entered Lloyds Bank in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 3 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 4 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 5 The Secrets of Dunwich: East Anglia's lost capital
- 6 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
- 7 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk
- 8 6 roadworks to avoid in Suffolk this week
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon