Ipswich: Former world’s fattest man, Paul Mason, could be in line for surgery to remove excess skin thanks to a New York-based surgeon
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich man who was once dubbed the world’s fattest could be in line for an operation to remove folds of excess skin, after a US plastic surgeon offered to take on the procedure.
Paul Mason, who once tipped the scales at 70st, was told that a decision has yet to be made but if they feel he is a suitable candidate for surgery, New York-based doctor, Jennifer Capla, has offered to give her time for nothing to perform the operation.
Mr Mason, who had a gastric bypass operation to tackle his weight, described an operation to remove skin as “his most important yet” and claims that it will completely turn his life around.
He said: “The bypass operation is something I have wanted for 13 years and I knew once I got help that I could do the rest.
“This next operation is so important so I was chuffed when Jennifer said she was prepared to help me.
You may also want to watch:
“At the moment I am no further forward than I was before, because I feel trapped by the skin. If I am not in bed I am in my wheelchair – the excess skin does hold me back.
“If this doesn’t go right then I shall be using a wheelchair for the rest of my life, which is why it is so important to me.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 3 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 8 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
The 52-year-old has also been told that even though surgeons are willing to donate their time for the operation, he will still need to raise funds for flights, aftercare and hospital stays in the US.
Dr Capla has confirmed she has offered to help Mr Mason lose his excess skin.
She added: “My specialist training is in treating patients after massive weight loss.
“I think they have come so far and they just can’t get their life back.
I’m still trying to learn more about Mr Mason’s full medical history. I’ve read his records but I’ve never met him in person.
“A lot of what we’re doing is getting him to a state where he can move and walk and get him his life back.”
At his height, the former postman was eating up to 20,000 calories every day, nearly 10 times the recommended limit – but as of January, he had lost 46st.
Since losing the weight, Mr Mason has also found love in the form of Rebecca Mountain, who lives near Boston in Massachusetts.
The duo initially started talking online but their friendship quickly blossomed. Mr Mason hopes if he is able to get the surgery, it will making seeing Miss Mountain in person much easier.