Ipswich: Lunchtime gridlock caused by Fore Street roadworks is “unbelievably annoying”
- Credit: Archant
Lunchtime gridlock is reported to have caused major disruption for hundreds of motorists in Ipswich today.
A lane closure in Fore Street, due to some minor roadworks, has backed up traffic in the Bishops Hill and Fore Hamlet areas of town.
One frustrated motorist said: “It was unbelievably annoying. I ground to a halt at the top of Bishops Hill and it took me half an hour to reach my business in the town centre. This wasn’t rush hour – it was lunchtime, when you would expect the traffic to be relatively light.
“The most irritating thing of all was, when I finally got to Fore Street, to see barriers closing off the nearside lane – all for one bloke, sitting in his lorry, apparently blissfully unaware of the chaos behind him!’’
A Suffolk County Council spokesman confirmed that work began yesterday on two-week project updating the pedestrian crossing outside the Lord Nelson pub in Salthouse Street.
You may also want to watch:
Off peak lane closures will be in place between 9.30am and 3.30pm
“These lanes will be reopened in peak times to minimise disruption,” the spokesman added.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 6 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 7 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 8 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 9 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 10 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s