Ipswich: Man, 78, in court charged with string of historic child sex offences
- Credit: Archant
A 78-year-old Ipswich man has appeared in court charged with a string of child sex offences on four alleged victims, with some dating back nearly 40 years.
Brian Callaghan, of Waterford Road, made his first appearance on 21 charges during a brief hearing before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court.
Callaghan’s case was committed to Ipswich Crown Court due to the seriousness of the accusations against him.
Among the 21 charges are three rape allegations.
Callaghan was not asked to enter a plea during his hearing before magistrates.
You may also want to watch:
He was told his next appearance would be before the crown court for a preliminary hearing on January 28.
The earliest allegations against Callaghan date back to 1975.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
He has been charged with threatening or intimidating a woman to have sexual intercourse between 1975 and 1979.
Callaghan also faces three counts of indecent assault committed on an alleged second victim, a girl under the age of 14. These are said to have taken place between 1979 and 1981.
In addition Callaghan is charged with four counts of gross indecency committed on a girl under the age of 14 between 1979 and 1981 and two counts of administering a drug with intent in 1977 and 1979.
Callaghan is accused of two counts of child cruelty between 1985 and 1990 against a third alleged victim, as well as gross indecency committed on a boy under the age of 14 between 1985 and 1990.
The pensioner also faces three counts of gross indecency committed on a fourth victim, a girl under the age of 14, between 1975 and 1983 and one count of gross indecency committed on a girl under the age of 14 between 1982 and 1983.
He is also said to have indecently assaulted a girl under the age of 14 between 1975 and 1983, raped of a girl under the age of 16 between 1982 and 1983, raped of a girl under the age of 16 between 1979 and 1980, and raped of a girl under the age of 16 between 1979 and 1983.
Magistrates released Callaghan on conditional bail until his scheduled court appearance on January 28.