Ipswich man denies attacks outside nightclub

Jewel Miah has been found guilty of two stabbing attacks outside Unit 17 in Cardinal Park. Picture:

Jewel Miah has been found guilty of two stabbing attacks outside Unit 17 in Cardinal Park. Picture: ADAM HOWLETT - Credit: Archant

A 20-year-old man feared he was going to die after being stabbed during a late night attack outside an Ipswich nightclub, a court has heard.

In a police video interview from his hospital bed following the alleged attack in October last year Isaac Grant, who suffered a punctured lung, told officers: “I thought I wasn’t going to make it and was thinking I was going to die.”

Mr Grant was allegedly one of three men stabbed by 21-year-old Jewel Miah outside Unit 17 nightclub in the early hours of October 6 last year.

Miah, of Moore Road, Ipswich, has denied denied having a kitchen knife in Cecilia Street and three offences of wounding Isaac Grant, Patrick Styles and Bradley Orton with intent to do them grievous bodily harm.

Gareth Hughes, prosecuting, said the alleged stabbing took place at around 3am as customers were leaving Unit 17 in Cardinal Park.

You may also want to watch:

He told the court there was a background of ill-feeling between Mr Grant and his girlfriend’s ex-partner and this had triggered various incidents in the nightclub earlier in the evening.

Mr Grant and his friend Patrick Styles left Unit 17 at around 2.45am and shortly afterwards Mr Grant received a text from the other man suggesting they had a fight.

Most Read

Mr Grant and Mr Styles went back towards the club where a fistfight took place between Mr Grant and the other man, said Mr Hughes.

That fight ended and shortly afterwards another fight started during which Miah allegedly produced a knife and stabbed Mr Grant, Mr Styles and Mr Orton.

“It may well be that Miah had the knife earlier in the evening but had put it somewhere nearby so he didn’t have to take it into the club,” said Mr Hughes.

He said Mr Styles felt what he thought was a punch and it was only when he touched his back and felt blood that he realised he had been stabbed.

He allegedly saw a man with a knife run towards Mr Grant and he chased after him and tried to wrestle the knife away from him.

Police later found a knife in nearby bushes and following Miah’s arrest on October 9 his landlord identified the knife as being similar to one that was missing from her set of kitchen knives.

The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus