Ipswich: Men invited to step up to Midnight Walk task
An annual charity promenade which sees thousands of women pound the streets of Ipswich will be open to men for the first time.
St Elizabeth Hospice’s Midnight Walk has traditionally only been open to women, with walkers donning brightly coloured fancy dress.
Organisers are now revamping next year’s event on Saturday, May 18, by welcoming men and offering a night-time run through the town centre.
Alison Lanchester, the hospice’s director of income generation and marketing, said the move to welcome men would mean the event appeals to more people.
She said: “St Elizabeth Hospice’s Midnight Walk is our most popular sponsored event and the money it raises to fund our services, so they can be provided free of charge, is vital.
You may also want to watch:
“Now is the time to refresh it and ensure it appeals to as many people as possible.
“We have not taken this decision lightly.
- 1 Married Matt Hancock accused of affair after he is pictured kissing aide
- 2 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 5 Town considering move for Birmingham striker Cosgrove
- 6 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 7 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 8 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 9 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 10 Ipswich insurance broker snapped up by London firm
“We hope women who have taken part year after year will be reassured that the unique atmosphere of this mass participation event will remain intact. They can choose to walk with other women – or invite their husbands, fathers, brothers and male friends to unite with them – running or walking for such a worthwhile cause.”
The Midnight Walk – which will have a carnival theme next year – starts and finishes at Ipswich Town Football Club.
Registration is now open for Midnight Walk 2013 and you can save �5 if you sign up before midnight on December 31.
The event will include a warm-up and everyone who takes part will get a hot chocolate and a medal.
To take advantage of the online early bird offer visit www.midnightwalkipswich.co.uk.