Ipswich: New lease of life for St Clement’s Social Club
- Credit: Archant
One of the best-known social clubs in Ipswich is set for a bright new future with a new identity after being taken over by new management.
The St Clement’s Social Club used to attract hundreds to its events – it was a major venue for health workers and other civil servants.
However in recent years it has become less and less popular as the traditional works social club has faded in popularity.
Now the building has been taken over by Kieran Moore and his business partner Anna Cook who aim to breathe new life into it as the Foxhall Community Centre.
They aim to invest about £15,000 in refurbishing the club, and hope its updating facilities will encourage more people to use the sports ground and squash courts as well as the clubhouse.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Moore said: “We see this as somewhere with a great deal of potential and hope to make it the centre of the local community.
“There have always been successful car boot sales there. We want to develop that side as well and bring it back as a major asset.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Exit Interview: Ward was the model pro who started fast but simply ran out of steam
The pair take over the lease on the club in September and are already looking at ways of attracting new members.
“There are already some very popular events there like karaoke evenings and we want to build on these and bring in more people,” Mr Moore added.
At present the club is losing money – but Mr Moore was confident that if it attracted more members and visitors it could be turned around.
“We are really excited about the future here, we cannot wait to get down to business,” he said.
Are you a member of the club? Are you looking forward to the new management? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org