Ipswich: Orwell Walk stalwart raises £15,000 taking part for 35 years
- Credit: Archant
He has raised around £15,000 for good causes by walking nearly 500 miles as a veteran of the Orwell Walk.
Ron Daley has taken part in the fundraiser, organised by Ipswich East Rotary Club and supported by The Star, for around 35 years.
Inspired to walk to thank the charities who have helped his sister Rita, the 72-year-old has raised money for Ipswich Mencap and in recent years the Somersham Ward Support Group at Ipswich Hospital.
Miss Daley had learning disabilities and was helped by Ipswich Mencap throughout her life. She died two years ago aged 56, after losing her battle with lung cancer.
Mr Daley, of Devonshire Road, said his sister was his “inspiration” for wanting to thank the charity and hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“It is such a great event,” he said. “It brings people together to raise money for so many worthy charities.
“I used to do the walk just for Mencap because they always helped Rita. “But she was diagnosed with breast cancer and then lung cancer so I felt I wanted to thank the hospital for their care too.”
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
Mr Daley, who worked for Ransomes and cared for his sister after their parents died, raised £1,500 last year and estimates he has collected around £15,000 over the years.
He urged other people to sign up and get walking.
“It’ a great way to say thank you,” he added. “And it is nice to get outside and walk with friends for a good cause.”
He and six friends are planning to take on the 14-mile route at this year’s 37th annual event, on Sunday, June 30. Last year’s event raised a staggering £61,638 for local charities.
To register for this year’s Orwell Walk call Norman Haines on 01473 215333 for a registration form or visit www.ipswicheastrotaryclub.co.uk/the-orwell-walk-and-cycle