Ipswich: Park and ride returns for Sunday shopping
IPSWICH: Christmas shopping just got a lot easier as one of the town’s major park and ride sites re-opened on Sundays in the run-up to the holiday.
The London Road site at Copdock was recently closed on Sundays along with the rest of the town’s park and ride services due to financial constraints.
But town centre retailers and shoppers were so enraged by the move by Suffolk County Council in the run-up to Christmas that Ipswich Central has stepped in to negotiate a revival of the service.
Between now and Christmas, the site will open from 9am to 6pm on Sundays, with services running every 20 minutes.
Paul Clement, executive director of Ipswich Central, said: “The Business Improvement District was inundated by calls from retailers concerned about the effect this decision would have on Sunday trading.
You may also want to watch:
“Therefore, I am pleased we have been able to find a creative solution alongside Suffolk County Council to provide assistance to businesses and shoppers at such an important time in the retail calendar.”
The move was welcomed by town centre traders as a positive development for the crucial Christmas retail period.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 3 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 9 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 10 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
Councillor Guy McGregor said: “Suffolk Council County is pleased that we could work together quickly to get such a positive outcome.”
For more information about times and routes visit www.suffolkon board.com
n Are you pleased the park and ride is back on? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to eveningstarletters@evening star.co.uk