Ipswich: Sainsbury’s set to take over Golden Key
RETAIL giant Sainsbury’s is set to take on the new supermarket being created on the site of the Golden Key pub in Woodbridge Road, the Star can reveal today.
Pub owners Greene King applied for permission to build an extension to the building to turn it into a supermarket in 2011.
The application was eventually rejected by Ipswich council planners – but was allowed on appeal last summer.
Greene King has never said which supermarket chain was interested in the site but now Sainsbury’s has confirmed it is planning to open the store later in the year.
A spokesman for the company said: “We can confirm our plans to open a Sainsbury’s Local on the site of the Golden Key in Ipswich, following Greene King’s decision to close the pub.
You may also want to watch:
“This will provide a fresh food and convenience offer in a convenient location and create new job opportunities for the community. The new shop will give local residents increased choice and value and allow them to top up their food shopping locally.”
Initially protesters had feared the new store it could be Tesco – then Marks and Spencer was understood to be interested.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 8 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 9 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 10 Two cars set alight in two different streets
Ipswich council leader David Ellesmere said the change would not be welcomed by the local community.
He said: “We are looking at the loss of another community pub and there are some independent stores nearby which could be threatened by a new Sainsbury’s.
“The council did what it could to stop the closure, but our decision was overturned on appeal – there is nothing more that could be done.”
The store is expected to open during the summer, just as its arch-rival Tesco is preparing to open a new store on the site of the Emperor pub in Norwich Road on the other side of the town.
Will you use the new supermarkets being created in pubs? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org