Ipswich stabbing murder accused appear in court twice in one day
- Credit: Archant
A 22-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy appeared in court today charged with the murder of 17-year-old Tavis Spencer-Aitkens.
Aristote Yenge, 22, of no fixed abode from Ipswich, and the 16-year-old boy from Colchester, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Ipswich Magistrates’ Court having been charged with murder by Suffolk police on Wednesday night.
Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, of Pownall Road, Ipswich, died at Ipswich Hospital after being fatally wounded in Packard Avenue on Saturday.
Yenge and the 16-year-old boy appeared before Ipswich magistrates via video link from Suffolk police headquarters, Martlesham Heath, where they are being held in custody, and were told the case would be referred to Ipswich Crown Court.
Yesterday afternoon the pair appeared before Judge Martyn Levett at Ipswich Crown Court, again via video link, and spoke only to confirm their names and ages.
You may also want to watch:
No applications were made for bail by defence barrister Stephen Dyble and both will remain in custody until a plea hearing on July 27. A provisional trial date is due to be set for November 26.
In total, eight people have been arrested as part of the police investigation following the death of Tavis, including Yenge and the 16-year-old boy.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision with car
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-3 draw at Colchester
A 41-year-old man, 18-year-old man and a 20-year-old man were released on bail until July 4 after being arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
A 36-year-old woman from Essex was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender on Tuesday June 5 and was later released under investigation.
Another man, 23, and a 17-year-old male were arrested on Wednesday, June 6 on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, and remain in custody.
A police pod remains in place at the junction of Packard Avenue and Rand’s Way and a mobile police station will be at various locations during June while officers carry out additional patrols in the Packard Avenue area to offer reassurance to residents.
Detectives are appealing for witnesses, CCTV, dashcam or mobile phone footage from the area of Queen’s Way, Packard Avenue, Rands Way or Kingsway between 12pm and 7.45pm on June 2.
Call 101 with any information.