Ipswich: Still they queue at new Waitrose and John Lewis at Home stores
A week on from the opening of the new John Lewis at home and Waitrose superstores on the edge of Ipswich, potential shoppers are still facing long queues to reach the site.
At present there is only one entrance to Futura Park, where the stores are sited, off a roundabout on Ransomes Way which also handles traffic going into the Ransomes Europark retail park.
Since last Thursday’s opening traffic has regularly built up as far back as the Warren Heath and Ravenswood roundabouts – and beyond – putting many potential shoppers off visiting the new stores.
Side developer Aquigen is currently working to complete a second route into the site – from Nacton Road – and hopes this will be in operation by early December.
One shopper tried to visit the stores on Wednesday – but was put off by the queues. She said: “I knew it would be popular for the first few days so I waited until almost a week had gone and went during the middle of the morning.
You may also want to watch:
“There were queues of traffic almost as far back as St Augustines and it was impossible to get there so I gave up. I’m sure it will get better eventually, but I hope things get sorted out.”
A John Lewis and Waitrose spokesman said: “Our shops have been extremely popular since they opened a week ago and we’ve been delighted with the response.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
“We are aware that traffic has been busy around the new shops and are working closely with the relevant parties to ensure congestion is kept to a minimum.
“We have introduced car park marshals to improve the flow of vehicles and ensure customers can find spaces much more easily.”
Have the queues put you off visiting the stores? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com