Ipswich: Super Blues left counting the cost as they fork out �42.50 per match
THERE has been little for Town fans to cheer about so far this season, with Paul Jewell’s side languishing in The Championship dropzone, with one of the worst goal scoring records in the league.
And if the Blues’ poor start to the campaign wasn’t bad enough for the supporters, new figures today revealed they are paying much more than rival fans for matchday tickets.
At �42.50, the most expensive ticket for a home game at Portman Road is not only a big hit to supporters’ wallets, it is also the most expensive price for a ticket outside the Premiership.
Kyle Jennings, a committee member of the Spirit of 78 supporters’ club, believes the figures are slightly unfair on the club, saying the most expensive tickets will probably be for premier seats. But he does believe that fans will still be put off paying any more than �30 for a game.
He added: “Once people stay away and find something else to do, they won’t come back.”
The cheapest match-day ticket at Portman Road will set you back �22.50, according to the figures, while season tickets will cost between �390 and �745.
Liz Edwards, chairman of the official Ipswich Town Supporters’ Club, believes the figures are misleading and do not take into account the number of seats available at Portman Road at different prices, the grading of games and advance ticket prices.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 5 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 6 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 7 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 8 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 9 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 10 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
She added: “Whilst I am not saying that Ipswich have their pricing strategy necessarily perfect they are trying to look at ways to bring fans into Portman Road with various promotions during the season which compare favourably with other clubs.”
Tell us your views, log on and leave your comment here.