Ipswich: Town centre rape probe police trawl CCTV
- Credit: Su Anderson
Closed Circuit television could hold the key to a rape inquiry after a young woman told detectives she was attacked in Ipswich town centre.
Officers are trawling CCTV in a bid to find the man who assaulted the victim in an area at the Tacket Street end of Lower Brook Street early on Easter Sunday.
Ipswich police assisted by colleagues from Suffolk Constabulary’s major investigation team are currently hunting the woman’s attacker.
The victim, who is from Ipswich, has told police she was raped at around 2.35am.
Specially-trained officers interviewed the woman on Sunday and a spokesman for Suffolk police said they were continuing to liaise with her yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added: “Enquiries are ongoing and we are currently viewing CCTV from the town centre.”
The incident occurred in an alleyway, off a private car park between Lower Brook Street and the Old Cattle Market bus station.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
- 9 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 10 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
The distressed victim spoke to another member of the public after the assault. They alerted the Town pastors, who work with police to support and help revellers out and about in the town on Fridays and Saturdays.
The Town Pastors in turn contacted police on the young woman’s behalf.
On Sunday a team of police officers spent much of the day searching for clues.
Scene of crimes’ officer could be seen looking for forensic evidence around the area where the assault is said to have taken place.
Police tape sealed off the car park and the alleyway throughout the morning and into the early afternoon.
The cordon was taken down in the late afternoon.
At this stage detectives have not released a description of the man who is said to have carried out the attack.
Police have appealed to anyone who was in the area at the time and may be able to assist the investigation to contact Ipswich CID on 101.
Alternatively they can telephone Crimestoppers anonymously on Freephone 0800 555 111.