Ipswich: Town prepares for new Christmas lights
The town is to have a stunning new light show during the festive season.
Ipswich Central, the borough, and town centre retailers have invested �100,000 in new lights, which they say will be the best in the region.
They are due to be switched on at the end of Sunday shopping on November 25.
The switch-on date means the lights won’t be shining when thousands of people come to the Christmas Market in the town, which will take place a week earlier and will feature 150 festive stalls.
Ipswich Central chief executive Paul Clement said the switch on had been planned months ago – long before anyone had known anything about the Christmas Market.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We are hoping to get 5,500 people on the Cornhill for the big switch-on. It will be a great occasion as the town prepares for Christmas.”
Last year there was no major light switch-on in the town – Ipswich Central had only just won the ballot to continue running the Business Improvement District (BID) and there was not enough time to organise a big event. This year there are planning to be a number of events aimed at attracting shoppers to Ipswich – as well as the Christmas Market from November 15 to 18, there is also a market planned for the Fore Street area which will have a Dickensian theme and will involve students from UCS.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 4 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 5 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
n Does the town do enough to celebrate Christmas? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.