Ipswich: Treat for victims of Christmas thief
ipswich: A band of excited pensioners embarked on a trip to London courtesy of the town’s MP after their treasured Christmas fund was cruelly stolen last year.
The group from Walton House in Emlen Street were treated to a visit to the capital, a trip on the London Eye as well as a tour of the Houses of Parliament and tea on the terrace overlooking the River Thames on Monday.
Ipswich MP Ben Gummer was moved to help after hearing of the residents’ plight.
The sheltered housing scheme’s social club treasurer Christopher Gummer – no relation to the MP – admitted pilfering nearly �3,000 residents had raised for their festive celebrations. He then lavished the cash on his wedding and honeymoon.
MP Mr Gummer told The Star: “They [the residents] were completely shafted by my name sake.
You may also want to watch:
“Despite being no relation to me, I felt I wanted to do something to help – they deserved a treat.
“They saved up all year for their Christmas party only to find it stolen, it was awful.”
- 1 Matchday Live: Four goals in a busy first half
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
He thanked the Ipswich East Rotary Club and the Co-op for their part in helping fund the coach to London.
Steve Flory president of the rotary club added: “We were delighted to help support this trip as a club we work with a wide variety of charities and groups making life better for those both young and old.”
n What do you think? E-mail email@example.com