Ipswich welder dies after 50 years exposed to asbestos at work
- Credit: Archant
A retired welder from Ipswich died after 50 years of working in environments contaminated with asbestos, an inquest heard today.
David Warnes, who passed away on May 9 aged 76, was exposed to the hazardous material while working with mechanical components that had to be kept at a certain temperature – maintained by the use of “massive asbestos blankets”.
The inquest heard that Mr Warnes died of bronchopneumonia, due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asbestiosis. This was said to be directly related to his industrial job.
Mr Warnes’ partner, Yvonne, said in a statement: “We have been together for 24 years and David used to say we were still on honeymoon as we were so close and did everything together.
“He wasn’t one of the best, he was the best.”
You may also want to watch:
Concluding the inquest, assistant coroner Kevin McCarthy said: “He died in Ipswich Hospital from complications arising from a severe lung disease. I conclude that this was an industrial disease.”
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 9 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 10 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties