Irritation continues over extended speed limits on A12 road
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
News that the A12 roadworks between Copdock and East Bergholt will continue to cause disruption for another month has caused serious irritation among motorists and the business community in Suffolk.
The new delay will mean the work will have taken twice as long as originally planned – with a temporary 40mph speed limit that has caused serious frustration to drivers.
The work on the road started at the beginning of the year and was originally scheduled to be completed by the end of March.
During that month, it was announced that the work would be extended – partly because of “bad winter weather”. That caused some raised eyebrows from motorists who did not feel that the winter of 2015 was particularly harsh!
New county council cabinet member for transport James Finch said he knew the road well – but he pointed out it was the responsibility of the government’s Highways England agency, not the council.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “As a regular user of the A12 I am disappointed that Highways England has had to delay this project’s completion – however the most important thing is to ensure that the work is carried out to a high standard and does not need further attention.”
Suffolk Chamber chief executive John Dugmore said: “Drivers do appreciate that essential road works do need to take place and that safety on our roads is paramount. What is frustrating is when those works over run, the explanation for that is not clear and the knock on effect on business and private journeys.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
“Unnecessary delays due to the over running of work during half term when thousands will visit the Suffolk Show is avoidable and will sadly delay far too many families.”