The Southwold beach hut which will cost you more than a HOUSE
- Credit: DURRANTS
It isn’t unheard of to pay extra for a sea view – but sun-lovers could be left a little shocked when they see the cost of this beach hut on one of Suffolk’s finest beaches.
The chalet in Southwold has been put on the market for £150,000 – more than it costs to buy a flat on Ipswich Waterfront, some three-bedroom terraced houses in Lowestoft, or a two bedroom apartment in Stowmarket.
The wooden chalet, named ‘The Folly’, is on The Promenade.
At £150,000, it costs roughly £40,000 more than a flat for sale on Foundry Lane in Ipswich – with a guide price of £109,995.
The one-bedroom apartment on the Waterfront is a 15-minute walk from the town centre, and has access to a residents’ heated pool and gymnasium.
You may also want to watch:
The Folly costs more than 15 times the price of a similar chalet on the Felixstowe seafront, on sale for £8,500, and more than 10 times the value of a hut in East Clacton, on the market for £13,000.
In addition, the buyer will have to fork out £670 plus VAT per year to rent the patch of land on the Southwold suite spot.
- 1 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 9 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
The description notes that the chalet is also subject to non-domestic rates and other charges that may be acquired.
Marketed by the estate agents Durrants, the hut is described as “beautifully presented” in a “highly desirable area of the promenade”.
The description states: “Perfectly situated with easy access to South Green and the town centre this hut is ideal for exploring all this piece of the beautiful Suffolk Coastline has to offer. The beach hut is well presented and provides the perfect base for your family holiday by the sea.”
Is it not clear whether the hut has electricity or a gas hob.
Less than a mile down the coast, on Southwold’s North Beach, another hut is under offer for less than a third of the price – in the region of £45,000.
For those not looking to invest in a seaside chalet, it typically costs between £150 and £650 to hire a beach hut in Southwold for seven nights.
Viewings are strictly by prior arrangement with Durrants’ Southwold office, which can be reached by calling 01502 723292 or e-mailing the agents on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Offers should be submitted in writing to the agents’ office by 12pm on October 2, 2018.