Suffolk eco home which featured on TV show Grand Designs is on sale
- Credit: Archant
The Arc - a Suffolk eco home which featured on Channel 4’s Grand Designs programme, covering the construction, has come on the market.
The Arc is an individually designed eco home, in Suffolk, which featured on television’s Grand Designs programme in October 2010, which followed the building project through to completion.
The Arc, in Boxford, is a home that benefits from many special environmental features including solar hot water, solar electricity and rainwater harvesting.
The owners chose Lincolnshire-based architect Jerry Harrall to design the contemporary home due to his experience in eco-buildings.
Owner Jonathan Belsey said: “I gave Jerry a very open brief, but stressed that I wanted the home to be as ecologically sustainable as possible, yet suitable for family life.
You may also want to watch:
“It was Grand Designs that inspired me to build the house. I’ve done renovations in the past, but without the programme, I would never have thought that a regular guy like myself could have the opportunity to build something for my family.”
Throughout the build, Jonathan ensured that wherever they could they used either recycled or re-purposed materials.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
The structure, constructed from dense, recycled concrete blocks has a great deal of insulation on the outside, which acts like a storage heater and helps to keep the heat in during the winter. Whereas the roof, made from 12% recycled aluminium is shielded from the heat of the sun, keeping the house cool during the summer months.
The Arc is single storey family home, of four bedrooms.
. Other great features include the high ceilings that provide the added feeling of airiness and sense of freedom, and the curved walls that ensure you can never see the end of the home, but instead are taken on a journey around the building.
Jonathan continued: “It will be a sad day when we move out of the house, but with our four children now grown up and in their own homes, it’s time for a new chapter in our lives. Since having The Arc built, we’ve most certainly caught the development bug.
“We’re currently constructing a holiday home in Greece, and you never know, sometime in the future we may have another project here in the UK too.”
The Arc is on the market for offers in excess of £575,000 with agents Fenn Wright.