Meet Jasper the Romanian street dog who has won a Suffolk canine competition
- Credit: ANTONY PERKINS
A young dog who was rescued from the streets of Romania has become the latest winner in a Suffolk canine competition.
One-year-old Jasper charmed the judges in week two of the #LetSleepingDogsLie competition, which is being held to mark the countdown to Suffolk Dog Day 2018 at Helmingham Hall on July 29.
The competition, which invites people to share pictures of their slumbering hounds is said to have been a “howling success”.
“We’ve been completely inundated on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with hundreds and hundreds of photos of kipping canines,” said Tim Holder, head of public affairs at Suffolk Community Foundation.
“With over £500,000 raised for Suffolk charities from the day over the past decade, it’s great to feel so much love for this special day in the Suffolk calendar.
You may also want to watch:
“Social media means that a fun opportunity like #LetSleepingDogsLie can really make a difference to how successful this year’s event will be and we can tell some lovely stories along the way too.
“Suffolk Dog Day is really about dogs helping people, so it’s nice this week that our winner has a story that is more about people helping pups.”
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 3 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 7 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 9 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
The latest winner, Jasper, was rescued by the Perkins family from Romanina.
Father of the family, Antony Perkins said: “Jasper is one year old and was rescued off the streets when he was just four months old by a local lady Sorina.
“She took him into her home and cared for him with little money she had. My good friend Gavin Hamilton shared Jasper’s story on his Facebook page and we thought this little boy could not be left in Romania and would complete our family and he came to live with us in October 2017.
“He is just the most brilliant companion and we all love him so much.
“We thank Gavin so much for his help and Sorina for saving this little guy’s life.’
Visit www.SuffolkDogDay.com to find out more about Suffolk Dog Day and to take part in week three of #LetSleepingDogsLie.