Jaywick: Fresh fruit and vegetables delivered at knock-down prices to encourage people to eat healthy
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
A PIONEERING new scheme aimed at encouraging healthy eating is offering people in Jaywick low cost fruit and vegetable boxes.
Since its launch, the Fresh & Fruity project has been a big hit with locals and has prompted organisers Anglian Community Enterprise (ACE) to expand its operation.
Every Thursday, the Fresh and Fruity Van, staffed by health champions, tours Jaywick offering cheap fresh fruit and vegetables.
As well as selling fruit and vegetables, the Health Champions offer advice on healthy eating and ideas to help families improve their lifestyles.
It is now hoped the introduction of new “healthy start” fruit and vegetable boxes priced at just £3.10 will encourage even more people to take advantage of the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
As well as containing a selection of fresh produce, the boxes also contain recipes and ideas for healthy eating. Larger family boxes, with extra fruit, vegetables, salad and free-range eggs will also be available.
Families in receipt of Healthy Start vouchers can exchange their vouchers for the boxes, or can buy a selection of produce from the van.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 RACE NIGHT LIVE! Brilliant Witches win at Lynn in season opener
- 5 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 6 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 7 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 8 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 9 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 10 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
Alix Sheppard, ACE health trainer co-ordinator, said: “This project originated after local people identified a problem with promoting the ‘eat five a day’ message, pointing out that there has been poor access to reasonably priced produce, particularly in Jaywick.
“It has gone from strength to strength and the introduction of these fruit and veg boxes will, it is hoped, encourage even more people to eat more fresh produce.”
The van’s itinerary is as follows: 9.45am Golf Green Hall, 10.10am Sure Start, Broadway, 10.45am Green Elms GP, 11.20am Sure Start, Langham Drive, 11.40am Ravenscroft School, 12pm Sacketts Grove, 12.45pm Golf Green Hall, 2pm Brooklands Resource Centre and 3pm Frobisher Primary School.
To place an order for a box, please phone 07956 532327 of visit the team at one of the stops above.