‘Jealous husband admitted murder to nurse’ - court

A JEALOUS husband accused of murdering his wife because he thought she was having an affair admitted to a nurse that he had killed her, a court has heard.

Sarah Baker, who was a student nurse at Ipswich Hospital in November last year, told a jury at Ipswich Crown Court that Paul Green had been “completely calm” when he told her what he had allegedly done.

“He was lying there and said it as if it was an every day comment,” she said.

She said she had been taking details from 59-year-old Green after he was admitted to a hospital ward following a car crash in which she was told he had tried to commit suicide.

Miss Baker had asked Green for his next of kin and he had replied: “It was my wife but I killed her.”

You may also want to watch:

She said that Green had then told her that he had children but said they wouldn’t want to see him because he’d killed their mother.

“I was a bit shocked and wanted to make sure he knew what he was saying to me,” said Miss Baker.

Most Read

She alleged that Green had then gone on to tell her that he had thought his wife was having an affair with a man who had been thatching the roof of their cottage.

She said that Green said he had seen evidence in the form of text messages and e-mails about their affair.

She said he’d also said they’d had “a huge argument” so he had stabbed her to death.

“I just sat there and listened. He was completely calm. He wasn’t distressed at all,” said Miss Baker.

Green, of Main Road, Marlesford, has denied murdering his wife Sharon Green, 53, between November 19 and 20 last year.

The court has heard that Mrs Green was the landlady of the Old Bell pub, Marlesford until the pub was closed six years ago and turned into a private residence for her and Green.

In the spring of last year local thatcher Steven Pye had been hired to thatch the roof of the former pub and had developed feelings for Mrs Green.

Mrs Green had exchanged text messages and e-mails with Mr Pye but had ended their relationship shortly before her death after telling him that she feared what her husband would do to her if she left him.

The court has heard that Mrs Green was stabbed five times in the chest with a bayonet from her husband’s collection of Second World War memorabilia.

When Green was arrested by a police officer who saw him walking along the A12, he said he had tried to kill himself by driving his car into a tree.

Green was subsequently taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment for his injuries.

- The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus