Jetty crabbing ban lifted

A BAN on crabbing at a jetty has been lifted just days after it was revealed a ban had been imposed on the traditional pastime.Following a mixed public reaction to the order, Suffolk County Council bosses made a swift U-turn and withdrew the ban on crabbing from the Felixstowe Ferry jetty.

A BAN on crabbing at a jetty has been lifted just days after it was revealed a ban had been imposed on the traditional pastime.

Following a mixed public reaction to the order, Suffolk County Council bosses made a swift U-turn and withdrew the ban on crabbing from the Felixstowe Ferry jetty.

It was revealed last week that the council had put up signs prohibiting crabbing at the jetty - angering families who enjoy the pastime. But officers arrived at the jetty on Friday and removed them.

The jetty is the mooring point for the Deben Ferry, which takes walkers and cyclists to and from Bawdsey.


You may also want to watch:


Suffolk County Council leases the jetty and ferry rights to the ferry operators, who it is understood asked for the signs to be put up because they were worried about the dangers of children playing there.

The issue was also brought before the Felixstowe Ferry Forum, which is working to improve the quality of life for residents and visitors to the fishing hamlet, and it agreed signs were needed.

Most Read

A Suffolk County Council spokesman said: "We are all in favour of health and safety, but this was a rather unsubtle outright ban.

"The council's executive would like to have it reconfigured so that we can find some way to address the needs of those who want to go crabbing so that they can do so safely."

He added although consultation had taken place with the ferry operators and Felixstowe Ferry Forum, some councillors felt the outright ban was too strict. "We are asking that they consider something a bit more diplomatic and user friendly," said the spokesman.

But harbour master John White said he fully supported the signs and could not understand the council's decision to remove them.

"I'm disappointed that the council have retraced their footsteps and appear to have bowed to public pressure," he added.

"There have always been safety issues over people using the jetty for crabbing and I think something does need to be there to warn people.

"It's put the ferry operators in a bit of a difficult position because it's going to be a free for all now. I think the council have let them down."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus