Stowmarket man died of drug overdose, inquest rules
- Credit: Archant
A Stowmarket man died after an overdose of illegal drugs at his family home, an inquest heard.
Jo Matthews, 39, of Silver Street, Old Newton, Stowmarket, had struggled with drug addiction before being found on May 25, 2018.
Coroner Dr Dan Sharpstone told the inquest that Mr Matthews was already being prescribed painkillers but he was also self-medicating with codeine extracted from cocodamol, traces of which were found in his system.
On May 23 he left his home and travelled to Ipswich, returning home on May 24.
Mr Matthews was believed to be in possession of crack cocaine.
You may also want to watch:
During this time he sent his family WhatsApp messages asking for help and saying he was hearing voices.
He was found at 10.20am on May 25 lying on a bed in the Stowmarket home with drug paraphernalia around him.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
The coroner concluded that the cause of death was an overdose of a combination of drugs.