Jubilant atmosphere as the 73rd Aldeburgh Carnival begins
A carnival atmosphere built up in Aldeburgh this weekend ahead of tomorrow’s procession.
The long weekend of festivities kicked off yesterday in the 73rd annual Aldeburgh Carnival, with a funfair, stalls and sideshows close to the Moot Hall.
Special events such as the mini-marathon, a six-mile run to Thorpeness and back, and the egg boat race at the boating lake took place today.
Alan Cooney won the mini-marathon, with Megan Newton the first lady to finish. Marcus Holmes and Jasmine West were the first junior boy and girl to cross the finishing line.
Tomorrow sees the Disney-themed carnival at 3.15pm, led by the British Imperial Military Band, with the lantern procession and fireworks in the evening.
You may also want to watch:
Publicity officer Keith Batt said: “The events so far have gone really well – the weather has been good and the crowds reasonable.
“We are looking forward even more to the big day tomorrow.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 6 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 9 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
- 10 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
“There is a very good atmosphere throughout the town.”