Kesgrave: Brave young cancer survivor to appear on TV to help promote fundraising camapaign
A BRAVE young Suffolk student who survived a rare cancer is set to appear on national television to help promote a new fundraising campaign.
Jack Frere, 10, from Kesgrave has teamed up with Cancer Research UK for the launch of Stand Up to Cancer. The initiative, backed by a host of celebrities, is aimed at raising vital funds for research.
Stand Up To Cancer will be aired on Channel Four tomorrow night, with hosts Alan Carr and Davina McCall joined by big names of TV, film, music and sport including Kylie Minogue, Tom Daley, Jonnie Peacock and George Clooney.
Ahead of the star-studded show, Jack will be featured in a special news bulletin looking at how money raised via Cancer Research UK is funding a clinical trial for children going through similar experiences to him.
Jack was diagnosed with the rare tissue cancer, Rhabdomyosarcoma, in April 2009 and he endured 10 months of intense treatment including chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery to remove a tumour in his stomach.
You may also want to watch:
In April the EADT revealed how Jack was given a Little Star Award after he helped his teacher cope with cancer when his own treatment had finished.
Jack’s dad Duncan, who has lost several family members to cancer, said: “Sadly some of the children Jack made friends with in hospital didn’t survive. That’s why we’re passionate about fighting this disease.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 7 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
“We are definitely planning to do our bit to raise funds for Stand Up to Cancer and we’d like to encourage anyone who can to watch TV on Friday night and get involved.”
Fundraising packs and campaign merchandise will be available.