Boy, 15, shot in Kesgrave remains in critical condition one week on
- Credit: Archant
A 15-year-old boy remains in a critical condition in hospital one week after being shot in Kesgrave, police have confirmed.
The teenager was shot while walking along Friends Walk, on the Grange Farm estate, at around 8.40am last Monday.
The victim was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge a short while later for treatment for his serious injuries.
A police cordon was set up in Friends Walk and the nearby Through Jollys as officers conducted an investigation into the shooting.
People in the area reported hearing a gunshot and seeing others flee the scene, while some Kesgrave residents were instructed by police to stay in their homes.
You may also want to watch:
Kesgrave High School and Heath Primary School, in Bell Lane, confirmed that pupils would be kept on-site until the end of the day.
Another boy, also aged 15, was subsequently arrested in Ipswich several hours after the incident after armed police raided a property in Westwood Avenue, which runs between Norwich Road and Valley Road.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
Police later said they had recovered a “long-barrelled” gun as part of their investigation into the shooting.
After being quizzed by detectives, the boy was charged with attempted murder, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of injury.
The suspect, who cannot be named for legal reasons but is from the Woodbridge area, appeared before Norwich Youth Court and Ipswich Crown Court, both via video link, on Wednesday last week.
He was not required to enter a plea at either hearing and he has been remanded in custody before his next appearance at Ipswich Crown Court on December 7.
A trial has been provisionally scheduled for January 25, 2021 and is expected to last for two weeks.
A police presence remained in Kesgrave for several days following the incident as officers moved to reassure the community, which had been rocked by the shooting.
Suffolk police said the shooting was being treated as an isolated incident and believed there was no wider threat to the community.