Suffolk home built in face of tragedy among Kevin McCloud’s all-time favourites
- Credit: PA
In his 20 years presenting Channel 4’s Grand Designs, it is a house in Suffolk that takes the honour of being in Kevin McCloud’s all-time four favourite properties.
Hoo House in Woodbridge proved not only to be an architectural masterpiece, but a story of love and dedication in the face of tragedy.
The three-bedroom house featured in series 10 of the hit show, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.
Lucie Fairweather and her partner Nat McBride bought the Woodbridge plot in 2006, and were granted planning permission in 2007 to build their cost-effective dream family home.
But the family dream looked in pieces when Mr McBride was diagnosed with cancer and passed away a year later - however Miss Fairweather didn't give up on their shared vision of building a house that was as aesthetically attractive as it was environmentally sustainable.
You may also want to watch:
Mr McCloud said: "I'm really fond of these small, inexpensive projects - they're more important as Grand Designs, than the big, show-off things people often think of. It's here that the innovation happens, when people push with small budgets to deliver great experiences.
"Lucie's was just fantastic. It was a wonderful story about redemption, and about her taking her late husband's vision and building a house for her small children. It was tinged with tragedy and sadness, but also with the tremendous friendship of Jerry Tate, a great friend of her and her husband. He not only designed the home for her, but held her hand through the whole process.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
"It was an exemplary three bedroom suburban home, but Lucie is a primary school teacher and she didn't have a lot of money. The takeaway is that it's not about buying stuff - if she can do it, anyone can."
Miss Fairweather's house is not the only local home to feature on the popular television show, with eco-friendly home "the Arc" in Boxford having also been shown to the nation in 2010.
But Kevin McCloud and his Channel 4 crew have been in Suffolk more recently, with a six-bedroom home in west Suffolk set to appear on the show on October 2 at 9pm.
Other favourites in his list of four favourites included a house in Peckham with a subterranean floor.