Kirton: Tributes paid to former school teacher Wendy Thomas
HEARTFELT tributes were today paid to a former school teacher who died after a courageous six-year battle with cancer.
Wendy Thomas, 67, taught at Langer Primary School in Felixstowe for 15 years before retiring in 2000. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2006.
Wendy died at her home in Bucklesham Road, Kirton, on August 2, just a month after Alison Coates, another teacher at the school, died of cancer.
Wendy’s husband Alan, 68, led the tributes to her.
He said: “Her greatest gift was children. She could be in a room and children would gravitate to her.
You may also want to watch:
“Her love was family and her grandchildren – she was the matriarch of our family.
“We were a very close family and she loved her grandchildren – they were her be all and end all.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 8 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 9 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 10 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
“I was fortunate to have 44 years with her. It was a privilege.”
Wendy was originally from Cleveleys, near Blackpool, and she moved to south Wales when she was 14, where she met Alan.
The couple moved to Trimley St Mary in 1975 before moving to Trimley St Martin and then Kirton.
Alan was quick to thank the nurses who helped his wife, describing them as “wonderful”, and he also praised his wife’s courage during her battle.
He added: “She never complained.
“She took it on the chin as they say and we gave her all the support with whatever decision she made.”
Wendy and Alan had two children – Robert and Alison – and four grandchildren.
Wendy’s funeral was held at Kirton Church on Monday, with people from across the country attending.
Would you like to pay a tribute to Wendy Thomas? E-mail to email@example.com