Knife-wielding robber jailed after threatening staff at Jennings Racing bookmakers in Clacton
- Credit: Essex Police
A robber who threatened a man with a knife before stealing thousands of pounds has been jailed.
Darren Starkey grabbed the member of staff at Jennings Racing bookmakers, in Pier Avenue, Clacton, on May 14 before taking the cash from the till.
He was later arrested by Hertfordshire Police in connection with a robbery at Coral bookmakers in Bishop’s Stortford on May 29.
He was charged in connection with both crimes and has now been jailed for six years.
Starkey, of Northolt Avenue, Bishop’s Stortford, pleaded guilty and was sentenced on Friday, August 18 at St Alban’s Crown Court.
He was jailed for six years and must serve four years before being considered for parole. Once released, his licence period will be extended by three years.
Detective Constable Dave Brooks, investigating officer for Clacton robbery, said: “Starkey is a dangerous criminal who was willing to use violence to get what he wanted.
- 1 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 2 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 3 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 4 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 5 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 6 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 7 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 8 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 9 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 10 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
“This sentence sends a clear message that anyone who commits such offences should expect to face a lengthy time behind bars.”