Is this Britain’s best beer... label?
- Credit: LABOLOGIST SOCIETY
The nation’s beer label designers came together for their 36th annual showdown to be crowned the best bottle at the summit in Southwold.
Hosted at the Southwold Arts Centre by Adnam's Brewery, the Label of the Year competition on Saturday October 12 saw dozens turn out for the flagship event in the Labologists Society calendar.
Labologists are collectors of beer labels and all things breweriana, whether they are interested in vintage bar towels, brewery mirrors, beer advertisements or cast iron bottle openers.
Labologist Society secretary Reverend Eric Doré, who lives in Wrentham, was delighted that money raised by the society throughout the year and the Southwold event was going towards a deserving cause in Ipswich-basted children's charity, Fresh Start New Beginnings.
Mr Doré said: "We were so pleased to see so many people at the event, both members of the society and local people.
You may also want to watch:
"We had a retired Adnams employee bring in a collection of labels soaked from bottles including some examples of older Adnams labels.
"Also, some old and pristine labels collected by a former Head Brewer at Fremlins of Maidstone.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
"But we are no closer to finding the elusive labels from Phillips of Downham Market, so if your readers can help us, please contact us."
This year's champion in the standard label category was the Dartford Wobbler Brewery's Londrina Ltd, a stylish art deco label on a passion fruit-flavoured beer.
Chairman of the society, Peter Dickinson, said: "Southwold is a great little town with several pubs serving delicious beer. What was there not to like?
"We want to offer our grateful thanks to all those who helped make it a brilliant day."
The event raised £3,300 for the child sexual abuse charity Fresh Start New Beginnings, who aim is to help children and young people make sense of the confusion they feel and to teach them coping strategies to deal with the difficulties they face.
Charity operations director Patsy Johnson-Cisse was immensely grateful to the society, saying: "A small local charity working with the most vulnerable children, we greatly value the wonderful donation of £3,300."
If anyone would like to contact the Labologist Society, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.