Cyclist dies after crash with Land Rover in Creeting St Mary
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 40s has died following a road traffic collision involving a Land Rover in Creeting St Mary earlier this morning.
Police were called at 9.50am to reports of an accident involving a Land Rover and a cyclist on the junction of Flordon Road and Coddenham Road (B1078) in Creeting St Mary, near Needham Market.
Ambulance crews, including the air ambulance, attended the incident but the cyclist, a man in his 40s, died at the scene.
The road was closed for several hours as the serious collision investigation team from Suffolk police worked at the scene, and reopened early in the afternoon.
The Flordon Road and Coddenham Road junction is close to Needham Market Lake, a known beauty spot in the area.
Police are appealing for any witnesses or anyone with information to get in touch.
A Needham Market resident, who drove past the incident prior to the road closure and did not want to be named, expressed his sorrow.
- 1 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 2 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 3 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 6 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 7 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 8 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 9 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 10 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
“I thought it looked like a bad collision and I am very sad to hear the man died,” he said.
“My thoughts are with his family and friends at this very difficult time.”
Witnesses are asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Suffolk Constabulary on 101 quoting reference CAD 97 of 19 April.
The death is the second on the county’s roads this week, after a 21-year-old man was killed in an accident on Tuesday.
Officers were called just after 8pm on April 16 to reports of a single-vehicle crash close to the Norfolk-Suffolk border village of Syleham, between Scole and Harleston.
A Nissan Almera had collided with a tree in Syleham Hall Lane and the driver died at the scene.
Pending an inquest, police provisionally identified the victim as Mr M Bienias from Stevenage, in Hertfordshire.
Syleham Hall Lane is to the east of the village, leading to the junction for Upper Weybread and Earsham Street.
Anyone with information about the Syleham incident is asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 quoting reference CAD 357 of April 16