Larry Parfitt, secretary of a Suffolk lodge of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes, stole £10,000 from the charitable organisation
- Credit: PA
A secretary of a Suffolk lodge of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes has been given a suspended jail term after stealing £10,000 from the philanthropic organisation.
Larry Parfitt, of Tennyson Road, Lowestoft, pleaded guilty to theft by employee over a six-year period when he appeared before North East Suffolk Magistrates Court.
The 53-year-old stole £10,263.32 between January 3, 2008, and March 3, 2014.
Parfitt was in a position of trust at the Buffalo lodge – known as the Festival Lodge, which operates from the bowls club in Carlton Road, Lowestoft.
As secretary he was responsible for collecting the money each week at meetings.
During the early part of this year it became clear there were discrepancies in the accounts.
When Parfitt was approached about the shortfall by other members he owned up to what he had done.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 3 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 4 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 5 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 6 Army carries out controlled explosion of dummy tank shell in west Suffolk
- 7 McKenna delighted to see Town win game of 'aggressive chaos'
- 8 Man dies following two-vehicle crash in west Suffolk town
- 9 Strike threat could leave East Suffolk bins overflowing
- 10 Burton Albion 0-1 Ipswich Town: Harness wins it as Blues stand firm
Parfitt admitted his guilt at the first hearing of his case.
It is understood he had got himself into financial difficulties.
Parfitt was sentenced to a term of 16 weeks’ imprisonment suspended for 18 months for the breach of trust from a charity.
He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours’ unpaid work during a 12-month period.
In addition he must pay compensation of £6,000 to the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.
The organisation is one of the largest fraternal organisations in the country. It started in 1822 at the Harp Tavern in Covent Garden and is known as the Buffs to members.
Its aims are to help members, their families, dependents of former members, and other charitable causes.
Its motto translates as No Man Is At All Times Wise.
The Order is non-political and non-religious.
According to its website it seeks to inspire members to commit to a peaceful and meaningful way of life.
There are lodges all in various countries around the world.