Slapstick entertainers who bring smiles to poorly children in hospital given cash boost
- Credit: Archant
They raise a smile at some of the most difficult moments in a child’s life.
And now a charity which provides entertainment to poorly children in hospital has been given a much-needed £2,000 cash boost.
The Laughter Specialists, who work at Colchester Hospital and other places, have received the cash from Saffron Building Society supporting their work with sick children.
They aim brighten the lives of these children with slapstick clowning, magic tricks and fun improvisations - but a two to four-hour visit to a hospital usually costs about £300.
Their aim is to see as many children as possible, their parents and carers whether in or out of bed, on the wards, in playrooms or in waiting rooms during their visit – with each session conducted in a sensitive way and following the instructions of the hospital staff at all times.
You may also want to watch:
The charity also visits a variety of schools for pupils with special needs and autism, reaching out to children and teenagers that need laughter in their lives, relieving their stress and anxiety, and opening doors to enhance their communication.
Annie Aris, co-founder of the Laughter Specialists charity, said: “How many times have you heard: ‘I need a good laugh,’ especially when people are sick or in some way vulnerable.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
“It’s great to be able to help children who are ill or who have special needs by cheering them up with laughter and fun.
“Thanks to donations from companies like Saffron Building Society and the many individuals who support us, we can do this.”
Colin Field, Saffron Building Society’s chief executive officer, added: “The Laughter Specialists do some incredible work in our community enhancing the lives of children who are unwell and need support – we’ve been able to see first-hand the amazing job they do and the difference they make.
“We’re delighted to support them through our community fund.”
In addition to grant funders, individuals can give to the Laughter Specialists to support their work.
Cash, cheque or online donations can be made at http://thelaughterspecialists.co.uk/funding/ or by calling 07901 913625